Simple Buttercream Recipe
Buttercream is a simple luxury and very tasty on or in cakes. It’s also one of the simplest toppings you can make, easy to make and store. This recipe should make enough buttercream to ice one medium sized cake or twelve small cupcakes.
- 1 to 2 tbsp milk
- 140g/5oz softened butter
- 280g/10oz Icing Sugar
- Looking to reduce sugar? Try the Sukrin Icing Sugar Alternative!
- Optional food colouring
- 1: Place the butter in a large bowl and beat until soft.
- 2: Add half of the icing sugar into the bowl containing the butter. Continue to beat until smooth.
- 3: Add the rest of your icing sugar and a tablespoon of milk to the beaten mixture, and then beat again until smooth and creamy.
- 4: If you need the mixture to be a bit looser, add the other tablespoon of milk and beat again.
- 5: Optional: Stir in a few drops of your chosen food colouring until well mixed.
- 6: Enjoy your buttercream!
Let us know what you did with your buttercream! What cake did you add it to?
(Original recipe and image: BBC Food Recipes)