Christmas Gluten Free Caramel Chocolate Log Recipe
- Butter for greasing
- 4 large eggs
- 125g golden caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 25g cocoa powder
- 50g oat flour (check the label to ensure it’s gluten-free)
- 100g dulce de leche (or Carnation caramel)
- icing sugar, for dusting
- 50g white chocolate (check the label to ensure it’s gluten-free), melted
For the filling:
- 400ml double cream
- 2 tbsp light brown soft sugar
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom (the seeds from 3 pods, crushed – see tip)
1. Lightly grease a 26 x 36cm baking tray with a substantial rim and line with baking parchment. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
2. To make the filling, put all the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium heat, whisking to dissolve the sugar and prevent lumps. Pour into a small container, cover with cling film and place in the fridge for a few hrs or until fully chilled.
3. Put the eggs and caster sugar in a large bowl and use an electric whisk to whisk for 5-8 mins or until the mixture has tripled in volume and holds a ribbon on the surface when the beaters are lifted from the bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, oat flour and a pinch of salt. Working in three additions, carefully sieve the dry ingredients over the egg mixture and carefully fold in, keeping the mixture light and airy. Carefully pour the batter onto the prepared tray and gently level out to an even layer.