Ethical Kitchen Organic Raspberry and Almond Tart
Organic Raspberry and Almond Tart
In the second of our series of Ethical Kitchen Recipes, we’d like to introduce you to the Organic Raspberry and Almond Tart. Made with various organic, fair trade, gluten free and vegetarian ingredients from Ethical Superstore.
It doesn’t stop here, we’d love you to send us your Ethical Kitchen recipes, for anything you’ve made with ingredients we stock. Even if its just one! Post them on our facebook wall and we’ll add them to our Ethical Kitchen recipe book.
For the pastry
- 250g/9oz Doves Farm Organic Ethical Plain White flour, plus extra for dusting
- 150g/5½oz fridge-cold unsalted organic butter, cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp Traidcraft Fair Trade Golden Caster Sugar
- 1 medium free-range organic egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp cold water
For the filling
- 175g/6oz unsalted organic butter, softened
- 175g/60z Traidcraft Fair Trade Golden Caster Sugar
- 125g/5oz Suma Organic Ground Almonds
- 65g/2.5 oz Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
- Half tsp Geo Organics Atlantic Sea Salt Crystals
- Half tsp Doves Farm Organic Baking Powder
- 2 medium free-range eggs, beaten – organic
- half tsp Steenbergs Fairtrade Vanilla Extract
- 5 tbsp Meridian Organic Raspberry Spread
- large handful fresh organic raspberries
- Handful of Suma Organic Almonds
- Organic whipped cream, to serve
- To make the pastry, pulse the flour, sugar and butter in a food processor until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Mix the beaten egg and water. Then continue to beat, gradually adding in the egg and water mixture to the bowl of the processor a gradually, until the mixture becomes doughy.
- Roll out the pastry onto a lightly floured work surface to form a rectangle about 35cm x 20cm. Carefully line a rectangular 25cm x 10cm tart tin with the rolled pastry, then lightly prick the base with a fork.
- Transfer the tart case to a baking tray and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- With the chilled pastry, line the tart case with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, remove beans and paper, then return the tart case to the oven for a further 4-5 minutes, or until the pastry is golden-brown. Remove the tart case from the oven and rest. Reduce the oven temperature to 170C/325F/Gas 3.
- To make the filling blend together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add in flour, baking powder, ground almonds, salt, eggs and vanilla extract and blend until well combined.
- Pour the raspberry spread over the base of the pastry case, and spoon over the almond filling mixture, starting at the edge and filling towards the centre.
- Bake the tart in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the filling mixture has set slightly and is pale golden-brown.
- Remove tart from the oven, cover over with the almonds, then return to the oven and bake for a further 20-25 minutes, until the filling has risen and is golden-brown. Rest for 15 minutes to cool slightly, then lift the tart from the tin.
- Serve warm or cold in wedges with cream.