Fair Food Recipe – Rice Pudding with Coconut Milk (Vegan)
1. Put rice in pan, cover with cold water, bring to boil and simmer for 5 mins
2. Drain rice and return to pan.
3. Add can of coconut milk bring to boil (watch carefully or it will boil over!).
4. Simmer gently for approx 30 mins until rice is soft and coconut milk is
absorbed (use less or more rice depending to how thick you like your rice
5. Add sugar to taste.
This is the basic recipe but you can ring the changes by adding the following
• For chocolate rice pudding add 1 tbsp Green and Black’s Fairtrade drinking chocolate (or similar) and top with chopped bounty bar if liked.
• Mix in some chopped soft dried apricots (Crazy Jack’s are lovely) and top
with flaked almonds.
• Stir in a handful of chopped pistachio nuts and top with some whole
Comfort food for a cold winter day!
When cooked, its rich creamy texture makes it perfect for both sweet and savoury rice dishes. The rice grain is hand sown in the rich alluvial soils of Northern Malawi, ensuring a superior aromatic rice, which is good for you and even better for the planet.
Award Winning Kilombero rice has received a Great Taste Award.
Here’s what the judges said: “Good looking long grain rice … delightful nutty notes and rich creamy texture. Difficult to fault this simple honest product”
Helping the Community and the local Economy:
. . . buying Kilombero rice at a fair and stable price provides an income to rice farmers that is reinvested in their farms, ensuring better food security and the means to support and pay for their children’s education.
Helping the Environment:
. . . by using environmentally friendly harvesting methods.
Kilombero rice is imported direct from Malawi to Scotland by Just Trading Scotland so you can be confident that payment will reach the farmers who grow it.