Crumble Topped Christmas Mince Pies Recipe
- 125g unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 200g gluten-free flour, plus a little extra for rolling
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- Grated zest 1 orange
- 200g gluten-free mincemeat
For the crumble topping:
- 25g ground almond
- 25g flaked almond
- pinch ground cinnamon
- 25g unsalted butter, melted
- 25g soft light brown sugar
1. To make the pastry, rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the icing sugar and orange zest. Spoon in 4 tbsp water, mixing with a knife until the dough starts to come together. Knead lightly, flatten into a disc, wrap in cling film and chill for at least 30 mins.
2. Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. On a lightly floured work surface, roll the pastry out to a 2-3mm thickness. Using a 9-10cm fluted cutter, stamp out discs from the pastry. Re-roll any trimmings and stamp out more discs until the pastry is used up. Line two 8-hole muffin tins with the pastry discs, then fill each pastry shell with 1 heaped tsp mincemeat and spread out to smooth. Can be frozen, uncooked, in trays for up to 1 month.
3. Combine the crumble ingredients in a small bowl, then sprinkle a little over the top of each mince pie. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for about 20 mins until the pastry is cooked and golden brown. Cool in the tins for 5 mins, then serve with brandy butter or crème fraîche.