EthicalSuperstore.com Goes Bananas For Fairtrade!
A banana-based frenzy broke out at Ethical Superstore this lunchtime. As part of the Fairtrade Foundation’s Fairtrade Fortnight celebrations, we’re in training for the world’s biggest Fairtrade banana-eating record attempt.
You can join in too; all you have to do is eat a Fairtrade banana any time between noon on Friday 6 March and noon Saturday 7 March.
We’re signed up as one of a whole host of events across the UK – check out the map on the Go Bananas! site to find your local event or submit your own; whether it’s just the family munching a banana each at home, or a whole office involved with banana-themed games – there’s sure to be something you can get involved with.
To keep you informed and entertained throughout your banana-eating check out these banana facts and figures;
- The banana is the most popular fruit in the world – people spend over £10 billion a year on the fruit globally.
- Banana plants are the largest plants on earth without a woody stem.
- Wild bananas have been cultivated for more than 4,000 years.
- Bananas are one of the few fruits that ripen best off the plant.
- Bananas are harvested every day of the year.
- The word banana is derivated from the Arabic meaning ‘finger’.
- Eating two bananas provides enough energy to see you through a strenuous 90-minute gym workout.
- There are 57 certified producer groups in ten countries of Latin America, the Caribbean and West Africa supplying Fairtrade bananas to twenty countries in Europe, North America and Asia-Pacific.
- Fairtrade bananas were launched in 1994, and now one in four bananas sold in the UK is Fairtrade.
- Bananas contain tryptophan and vitamin B6, known to help make you feel happy 😀