The Cradle to Cradle Certified Products Standard evaluates products across five categories of human and environmental health and is administered by the Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute, a non-profit organisation.
The certification is one of the most holistic assessments of a product’s environmental and health credentials through its entire lifecycle, from manufacture through use and disposal. The evaluation is based on achievements in 5 categories. To achieve certification, a product must meet requirements in all five categories:
- Material health – materials uses are healthy and safe for humans and the environment
- Material reutilisation – products are designed so that all components can be reused safely by industry or nature
- Renewable energy and carbon management – products are manufactured and assembled with renewable, non-polluting energy
- Water stewardship – products are manufactured in ways that enrich and protect water supplies
- Social fairness – products are made in ways that advance environmental and social justice