Help - Privacy & Security
Ethicalsuperstore.com is now participating in Verified by Visa and MasterCard SecureCode for added online payment security. These services are offered by Visa and MasterCard, in association with the bank that has issued your credit or debit card. It is aimed at protecting your details when shopping online by ensuring your card is not being used by someone else and is becoming a standard across all shopping websites.
If the credit or debit card you're using to pay for your order qualifies for one of these services (not all cards do), you will be taken to a page hosted by your card issuer. This is a completely secure process. The information you provide is completely private, will only be visible to you and your card issuer, and would never be shared with other parties.
If you haven't registered before and your card qualifies, you will need to follow the on-screen instructions to register securely and create a password for your card. This is not the same as the PIN number you use for your regular shopping. It's an online shopping code that you'll be able to use to identify yourself and your card when shopping online on Ethicalsuperstore.com or any other participating websites. It's the online equivalent of chip and pin which is used on the High Street. Once registered, you will be taken back to Ethicalsuperstore.com to confirm your order. If you're unsure about this new service, you may be able to complete your order without registering but we recommend that you contact your card issuer to find out more about the service, as they will eventually require you to register to continue shopping online.
If you have already registered, you will be required to use your password on future online transactions.
If you would like to learn more about these services or have any difficulty with the process, please contact your card issuer who should be able to assist you, as Ethicalsuperstore.com are unfortunately not able to help. Alternatively, you can always place your order by calling our Customer service team.
We keep you up-to-date with special offers and products we think you'll like through emails and occasional postal mailings. If you want to change your email or mail preferences, just click the 'Update communications references' in 'My Account'.
We may pass your email address or telephone number to a courier service however, this will be solely for the purpose of updating you on the status of an outstanding order and these details will not be used for any marketing purposes whatsoever.
We may also use aggregate information and statistics for the purposes of monitoring website usage in order to help us develop this website and our service and may provide such aggregate information to third parties. These statistics will not include information that can be used to identify any individual.
Occasionally we make your postal address details available to 3rd party companies who we feel offer products or services which may interest you. We will only do this if you have opted-in to receive such communications, for example when you completed a data capture form or placed an order with us. If you do not wish to be included, just leave the third party check box when registering or if you have already registered log into your account and select ‘Update your communication preferences’ in the My Account Information section, and un-tick the 3rd Party communications option.
We may also disclose your personal information to third parties working on our behalf for things like processing payments, customer analysis or data management. We only give these companies the information they require to fulfil their contracted tasks and they are not permitted to use the information for any other purposes.
We may also disclose specific personal information about you if required by law, governmental request or court order if, based on our good faith belief, it is necessary to conform or comply with such law, request or court order.
Subject access requests
You have the right to see what personal data we hold about you. To obtain a copy of the personal information we hold about you, please write to us at Spark Etail, Follingsby Avenue, Follingsby Park, Gateshead, NE10 8HQ. Please note that we reserve the right to charge a fee of up to £10 for any such request.
We take the security of your personal information very seriously. We want you to know that you are shopping in a safe and secure environment and that you are in control over what happens to your information.
- Secure data transfer – We use a GeoTrust secure certificate to encrypt all of your personal data when it is sent to and from the internet. This means that information you to send to us can only be seen by us and vice versa.
- Using your data – we use your data solely for the purposes of your customer relationship with us. We do NOT rent our list of customers to third parties. We will only communicate with you in ways which you have control over. You can change your communication settings at any time in your account. You can opt for email and mail, mail only, email only or no marketing communications at all. We will only use your phone number to contact you if we have an urgent enquiry regarding a specific order.
- Your credit and debit card details – These are not stored on our system and our staff can only see the first four and last digits of your card. Your details are held by our bank and they are fully compliant with the PCI Credit Card Security standard. If you phone or post through your credit card details, we will not hold those on file and any record will be securely shredded after the transaction is complete.
- 3D Secure – This is a new standard for credit security and we are already fully compliant. This standard allows you to set a password or pin number that you will always be asked for when you use your card. That way even if your card goes missing, no one will be able to successfully use it on fraudulent transactions.
Cookies are small pieces of information in the form of text files that are sent to your browser from our web server and are stored on your computer.
- To gather information which allows us to identify your platform and record sales so we may improve customer experience and identify issues on the site.
- To ensure you are provided with correct and useful information during your visit to our site.
- To allow you to add items to the basket and proceed through our checkout.
- To collect data which allows us to improve our services based on purchases and site usage.
There are three different categories these cookies are split into:
- To ensure you are provided with correct and useful information during your visit to our site.
- Essential to Site function cookies – these cookies allow you to browse the site, search for products and add items to the basket.
- Helpful, non intrusive cookies – these help improve your experience on the site, for example by recognising your location therefore displaying appropriate delivery options in a banner, and reminding you of your recently viewed items.
- Third Party Cookies – to help us record customer experience and to allow us to test new services, to help us improve the customer journey on the website.
Google use session and persistent cookies across their advertising products, and cookies are used by Google partners across their third party advertising network.
Google Adwords, MSN/Bing & Yahoo
Criteo "tags" visitors with anonymous browser cookies. Users tagged by Criteo are given an anonymous identifier. At no point does Criteo collect personal data, such as your name or address. The browser cookies track the products viewed by the visitor and pages visited of ethicalsuperstore.com, for whom Criteo is delivering ads.
Persistent cookies are used to run their technology as they enable Criteo to track and target the interests of our users to enhance the experience on our website. Persistent cookies remain on your hard drive for an extended period of time.
Criteo's partners' advertisements are displayed on many websites: publishers. These publishers may also place cookies in your browser. These cookies are there so that the publishers recognise that Criteo has a personalized advertisement available for your browser.
If you do not want to receive ads displayed by Criteo, you can disable the display of Criteo ads here, under the User Choices section. - See more at: http://www.criteo.com/privacy/
Cookies and pixels are used to understand and deliver ads and make them more relevant to you. We may also use a cookie to learn whether someone who saw an ad on Facebook later visited our website.
Facebook website and mobile Custom Audiences use code that we place on our site to deliver targeted ads through Facebook Custom Audiences. Visit Facebook to find out more about Facebook custom audiences.
Sites such as Facebook and Pinterest, serve cookies in order to be able to share and discuss ethicalsuperstore.com’s products on social networks.
How do I disable cookies?
(Please be aware the ecommerce functionality of the site requires cookies to be turned on)
If you want to disable cookies you need to change your website browser settings to reject cookies. How to do this will depend on the browser you use and we provide further detail below on how to disable cookies for the most popular browsers:-
For Microsoft Internet Explorer:
1. Choose the menu “tools” then “Internet Options”
2 Click on the “privacy” tab
3 Select the setting the appropriate setting
For Mozilla firefox:
1. Choose the menu “tools” then “Options”
2 Click on the icon “privacy”
3 Find the menu “cookie” and select the relevant options
For Opera 6.0 and further:
1. Choose the menu Files”> “Preferences”