Get To Know Bio D
Bio D is one of our best selling cleaning brands, and for good reason too! The ethically motivated company is family owned and is dedicated to promoting the use of hypoallergenic, environmentally friendly detergents that have a minimal impact on our earth both during the production process and use. When you use Bio D you can feel good about your choice of chemical free cleaners that better protect our planet.
Based in Hull, the brand has been around since 1996 – that’s 19 years! I don’t know about you but I think it’s safe to say that they know what they’re talking about when it comes to environmentally friendly cleaning ranges. If you look at conventional household cleaners you’ll see that they contain a lot of ingredients that can have a detrimental effect on the environment, and damage to our planet just shouldn’t be an option which is why Bio D offer you the option to buy environmentally safe laundry, household cleaning and dish washing products which work just as well as those brands you’ve come to know so well.
- Phosphates – These are present in many chemical cleaners as water softeners and to improve cleaning, however can stimulate excessive growth of algae in receiving waters, starving it of oxygen and killing fish and plant life.
- E.D.T.A (Ethylenediaminetetraacetic Acid) – This is generally used as a substitute or in addition to phospahates. The downside is it attracts heavy metals such as lead and mercury, both of which have known carcinogenic properties and can easily find their way back in to water supplies.
- Enzymes – These can cause severe skin irritations and asthma attacks.
- Optical Brighteners – To give the illusion of whiteness these attach themselves to fabric to reflect white light, they are not biodegradable and can cause severe skin irritation.
- Chlorine Bleaches – These are usually found in toilet cleaners, sanitisers, nappy powders, washing powders and dishwasher detergents. During breakdown toxic substances are formed which are similar to the banned pesticide D.D.T.
- Petroleum-derived additives – These are found in most household cleaners and do not fully biodegrade, they also contain toxic impurities that are highly irritant, cause allergic reactions and can endanger plant and animal life.
This is just a small sample of the ingredients found in regular household cleaners that not only cause damage to our planet, they are also harmful to us by causing skin irritation and other serious issues. Bio D use gentle, plant derived ingredients in all of their products but this doesn’t make them any less effective than regular cleaners or detergents. Personally I’ve been using the Bio D concentrated laundry liquid for just over a year and it cleans my clothes perfectly well – even on a 30° wash.
It’s not just the ingredients they don’t use that makes Bio D an ethical choice for cleaning, they ensure all of their bottles, containers and packaging are made with optimum levels of recycled materials while also being fully recyclable themselves which is a much more sustainable option. And don’t worry about animal testing, Bio D works to strict standards that ensure no raw materials or finished products are tested on animals, with a fixed cut off date of 1988. The products are also free from genetically modified ingredients and animal by products, and you don’t just have to take my word for it, the company is subject to scrutiny from the Vegan Society, Naturewatch Trust, BUAV and the World Wildlife Federation, all trusted organisations that ensure each company they certify continues to follow strict standards meaning you don’t have to constantly research the brand, you’ll always know how good they are from certification badges.
So if you’re starting on your journey towards chemical free cleaning, or just looking for new options, Bio D is one of the best choices you can make!