Ethical Kitchen fair trade banana cake
Time for another Friday treat. This week, the team were treated to a delicious fair trade banana cake made by yours truly!
Why Banana Cake rather than a triple chocolate challenge of some kind? Well in this case I had six Fairtrade bananas which were a little past their best so decided banana cake was the obvious thing to do with this. This is a pretty simple recipe that basically allows you to throw ingredients together in a single bowl and then produce a great tasting cake.
Makes one 2lb-sized loaf which serves 6-10 people
- 125g or 5oz margarine (or butter if you want to spoil yourself)
- 150g or 6oz Traidcraft fair trade caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of Traidcraft Fair Trade Demerara Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 organic egg, beaten
- 2 very ripe fairtrade bananas, mashed
- 190g or 7oz Doves Farm Organic White Self Raising Flour
- 60ml organic milk
1. Grease a 2lb deep-sided baking tin with organic butter.
2. Over a medium heat melt the butter, sugar and vanilla in a saucepan.
3. Combine the melted ingredients with the mashed bananas and mix well in a large bowl.
4. Add the egg, mix well and then stir in the milk and the flour.
5. Empty the mixture into the prepared baking tin.
6. Glaze with a sprinkling of Demerara Sugar
7. Bake at 150 C in a fan oven or 170 C in a normal over (Gas mark 3) for 35 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
8. Leave to cool if you can before you tuck in.
9. Come into the office an hour later to get yourself a piece only to find it has mysteriously disappeared…